On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 6:52:12 PM UTC-6, Graham wrote:

> Well, by definition, the boot programming pins are going to have the
> pull-ups / pull-downs, so you know what they are going to be doing, until
> over-ridden.
>
> Most processors start up with the programmable pins as inputs, then move
> to the configured state.

If it were so... but it seems with such an abundance of modes and pins, a
number of the pins I am using are in a variety if input, output, hi-Z and
I/O defaults at powerup, most often with pullup or pull-downs. The good
news is, I've added enough gating and the additional fast-starting Vdd to
avoid conflicts. SPI attached peripherals (powered early) all need commands
shifted in to drive outputs, so that's safe too.

Now for the *next* Beaglebone, innocuous I/Os would be a great feature...

Anything else can be dangerous to the pins.  But, as Charles says, RTFM.

> If you are concerned, use the bus-isolation /transmission-gate  chips,
> power them early, supply your own pull-ups/pull-downs, and switch the
> connection on when SYS_RESETn goes high.  Then you are unconditionally
> safe, and in-control.
>
> --- Graham

Thanks,

Mike