My company is building a product based on the Beaglebone black as a
reference design.  We will be adding a touch screen with a capacitive touch
screen controller (Mitsubishi) using either a serial or USB protocol.  The
LCD display will be wired to the BB similarly to the BB-VIEW cap (24 bit
RGB).  We won't be using the resistive touch screen hardware on the BB.

As I have no Linux driver development experience I hope I can make use of
an existing driver to support these two pieces of hardware.  If necessary I
can adjust parameters in the driver source code for any differences in the
hardware.  I suspect that the touch screen controller already emulates
either a USB HID mouse, or a serial mouse so an existing driver for one of
these would be a starting point.

Then there is the matter of which Linux kernel source tree to use.  We will
need QT support (I plan on using QT for the graphical framework for our
application).  So far some of the best instructions on cross tools for
development for the BB suggest using Debian Jessie as the host platform,
which would imply using the same for the target, however I've also heard
that the TI developed kernels may be better.

As my programming strengths are more on the application side than the
kernel side (I have done development work under Linux, and have configured
and built kernels before, but not entire system images for cross builds), I
am looking for some advice on how to get our platform working.  Except for
the LCD/Touchscreen the only other hardware we will need to bring on board
will be additional USB serial ports and hubs, but support for these should
already be solidly in place in any base system we start with.

Thanks in advance for any help.