Is this on power up or is this state happening some time later? If it is on
power up, then the power supply most likely is the issue based on the ramp
requirements of the PMIC.

If the power LED is on, then the PMIC is on and ramped up. That is why I
asked for the voltages.

It also could be a boot pin read issue where it misreads the boot pins. If
that is the case you should see that from the serial port.

Gerald

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 4:15 PM, William Hermans <yyrk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For what it's worth Gerald, this happens with nothing connected to the
> board as well. This just happened to me last night after issuing a reboot
> command from the command line.
>
> I remember at some point you all were talking about something about the
> "ramp time" of the PMIC or something.
>
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I would start with your cape design and try and rule that out first.
>>
>> The reset is an input pin read by the processor, not actually a HW power
>> reset. If the SW is locked up, this could happen.
>>
>> If you hold the power button for a 8 seconds or more the board should
>> power cycle.
>>
>> When it is in this state, what do the voltages read?
>>
>> Gerald
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 3:54 PM, Jonathan Ross <jonr...@nephology.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Once in a blue moon one of my beaglebones will get into a state where it
>>> has power (the power LED is lit), but it is not booted. Normally this would
>>> be fine, just hit the power button to reset. But in this weird state the
>>> power button does nothing. The reset button does nothing.
>>> I checked the power and reset button pins on the header, the power was
>>> low, the reset was high.
>>> The only way to get the board out of this state was to pull the 5V power.
>>> I'm using a KL16 on a cape to do a watchdog on the BB, and reboot it via
>>> power and/or reset buttons on the header if the BB stops sending checkins
>>> over uart. This has been working great, except for the rare case where the
>>> board ends up in this state where the power and reset buttons are not
>>> functioning.
>>> Any ideas how the BB could get into this state, and if there's any other
>>> way to force a reboot other than physically pulling the 5v power?
>>> Thanks,
>>> JR
>>>
>>> --

>> Gerald