Gerald, I do not have this setup yet, but perhaps in the future may have
the means. Is this something that might be easily checkable via JTAG ? I've
never used JTAG before, and do not have the header in place, but do have a
JTAG emulator.

One thing that has been stopping me from seriously considering this as a
debugging option, is that I do not know if there is an open source ( gcc -
as in GNU compiler collection - Not the compiler its self ) tool. Passed
that, it's all new to me, and probably a steep learning curve initially.