After reading all about the WDT inside the sitara the only way to cold
reset the processor is to power cycle it OR
pull PMIC_PGOOD low which pulls PORZ low which will cold reset the IC.
IT seems to me that there is some shortsightedness of TI not allowing
the cold reset to be pulsed from a WDT.
In case of a processor hang where a warm reset cannot allow the IC to
recover.

So you may want to find that signal on the board and tie your external
WDT to it and see if this solves your problem.
Maybe in the next rev of the BBB this can be some how made available for
an external WDT.