Yeah thanks William, I was hoping there was a serial method but thinking that
through I think it would be slower than an SD card!

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 3:53 PM, William Hermans <yyrk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One other option not mentioned. Which is "burning" from USB.
> Pretty much, all methods requires an sdcard, period. So, just using a large
> sdcard, with a small boot / rootfs, and a larger partition mounted, where
> every with all the data needed to be "burned" to eMMC. Thats all that's
> needed.
> So the data partition can be anything, then it's just a matter of mounting
> that media, and using it exactly how an sdcard would be used in it's stead.
> network mount, sdcard, USB media, whatever. It all the same at this point.
> I do recall something about "serial boot", but meh that sounds like a huge
> hassle . . . but also note that an NFS mount will be slower than both USB,
> or using the sdcard directly. In fact, for reads, I do not think anything
> will be faster than sdcard . . . in this context.
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 8:46 AM, Lee Armstrong <l...@pinkfroot.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for all of your experiences.  Interesting you use the SD in
>> production.  That is similar to what I am doing now.
>>
>> Günter, that is much quicker than the 5 minutes I have it down to at the
>> moment so may invest some time in that process.
>>
>> Lee
>>

>> On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 2:56:56 PM UTC, dl4mea wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Lee,
>>>
>>> my process is that I have a running Linux on a bootable SD card.
>>> As a autostart service, there is a scripted executed, which performs
>>>
>>> 1) partitioning of the eMMC card
>>> 2) copy u-boot.bin and MLO to the first sectors of the eMMC
>>> 3) format the 1st (and only) partition with ext4 file system
>>> 4) unzip/untar a master tar.gz from the boot media to the data partition
>>> 5) patch the extracted uEnv.txt with the actual UUID of the partition on
>>> eMMC
>>> 6) initiate regeneration of ssh host keys (touch /etc/ssh/ssh.regenerate)
>>> 7) sync