As Robert mentioned, I've also been using the BBBlfs project, which
provides a USB-based bootloader, to load a kernel plus userspace where
the eMMC looks like a USB flash drive. Usability across operating
systems have kept us from pushing BBBlfs out as the default for end
users where usability and not speed is the main concern.

For production, however, I've heard that some eMMC providers will put
images onto the eMMC so that they arrived pre-programmed on your dock.
I'm not sure how cost effective that is.

For workshops and my cape tester setup, I've been trying to get a
BeagleBone Black setup as a BBBlfs host and use udev rules to trigger
flashing when a BeagleBone is attached. Just as I was starting to test
it, I walked up with a big static charge and zapped my cape tester
setup. :(

I was going to start with a udev rule like this:

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0525", ATTRS{idProduct}=="a4a2",
ACTION=="add", RUN+="cd /root/BBBlfs/bin && ./usb_flasher"

Next would be to figure out how to disable udisks so that the eMMC
doesn't get mounted, then use another udev rule with bmaptools to
trigger the programming.

I'd also put some kind of cron job to download the latest images off
of http://builds.beagleboard.org to try to make my setup complete.