I must agree with you that `npm` is not the ideal packagemanager. ;-)
There also seems to be `pip` installed for Python packages...

Is there a remote possibility that those packages would ever be offered via
`apt-get` ?

Problem is that even as the root user some things (I forget which) didn't
work off the bat because of those broken ownerships. I ended up chowning
them to root:root (for files in `/etc/`) and debian:debian for files in
`/home/debian`.