On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Maurice H. <mausy5...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I must agree with you that `npm` is not the ideal packagemanager. ;-)
> There also seems to be `pip` installed for Python packages...
>
> Is there a remote possibility that those packages would ever be offered
> via `apt-get` ?

i wish...  cloud9 ide has to be installed via npm, then they broke some of
the npm packaging, so you have install some npm dependices on target,
before you can run the "standalone" package...

> Problem is that even as the root user some things (I forget which) didn't
> work off the bat because of those broken ownerships. I ended up chowning
> them to root:root (for files in `/etc/`) and debian:debian for files in
> `/home/debian`.

debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo cat .npmrc
cache = /root/.npm
group = 0
init-module = /root/.npm-init.js
tmp = /root/tmp
user = 0
userconfig = /root/.npmrc

root@beaglebone:~# pwd
/root
root@beaglebone:~# ls -lha ./
total 28K
drwx------  5 root root 4.0K Dec  6 21:32 .
drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4.0K Jan  1  2000 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  570 Jan 31  2010 .bashrc
drwxr-xr-x  9 root root 4.0K Dec  6 21:23 .c9
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4.0K Dec  6 21:23 .cache
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4.0K Dec  6 21:24 .node-gyp
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  140 Nov 19  2007 .profile

Well that's broken, so we can drop /home/debian/.npmrc

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/omap-image-builder/commit/5dfed9a2703c4013f9577b2e04f65e18568bd409

 ;)

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/