So I was able to to get the custom dtbo loaded after recompiling it with:

dtc -O dtb -o BB-APA-01-00A0.dtbo -b 0 -@ BB-APA-02-00A0.dts

Did the UARTS get renamed? I also had to remove this from the dts to get it
to comiple:

     fragment@4 {
               target = <&uart6>;
               __overlay__ {
                       pinctrl-names = "default";
                       pinctrl-0 = <&uart5_pins>;
                       status = "okay";
               };
       };

Doesn't seam to be loading on boot despite having entered it in
/boot/uEnv.txt:

cape_enable=capemgr.enable_partno=BB-APA-01

I can manually load it:

root@mmpTestBox:/sys/class/gpio# cat
/sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots
 0: PF----  -1
 1: PF----  -1
 2: PF----  -1
 3: PF----  -1
root@mmpTestBox:/sys/class/gpio# sh -c "echo 'BB-APA-01' >
/sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots"
root@mmpTestBox:/sys/class/gpio# cat
/sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots
 0: PF----  -1
 1: PF----  -1
 2: PF----  -1
 3: PF----  -1
 4: P-O-L-   0 Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-APA-01

After manually loading it:

Now I have an issued with ADC.setup() from the adafruit library.  Wasn't an
issue before I update:

/powerMGMT.py", line 46, in shorePowerCheck
    ADC.setup()
RuntimeError: Unable to setup ADC system. Possible causes are:
  - A cape with a conflicting pin mapping is loaded
  - A device tree object is loaded that uses the same name for a fragment:
helper

Any ideas?