Hello and thank you for the fast help. Here my answers for your comments:

Unless you carefully write kernel code to treat your DDR memory buffer
> as DMA memory, you are almost certainly encountering caching effects.

I thought to have this done by getting the memory space from
dma_alloc_coherent().
I will research if there is more needed to disable the caching but my
understanding was that a DMA flagged space will never be cached because the
ARM core can not know if something has changed.

> I recommend instead of using a buffer in DDR memory, use the PRU data
memories.

As to my tests, writing from the PRU to the DDR memory only requires 3
cycles on the PRU and not more on a few million tries (L3 fast
interconnect). However I do not know how long it takes for this memory to
be available at the ARM...

I can not do all work in the PRU code because I need to tag the rising edge
with the Linux Kernel time. Therefore I need to find out the most
deterministic way to get the counter value into the Kernel.

I will do further tests. Maybe there is someone here who experienced the
same road. I think tagging an event with the PRU (5ns) and set it into
relation to Linux Kernel Time without losing to much nanoseconds should be
one of the great PRU benefits.

Thanks all