So you are saying I will still need to stay with the 7.9 image series for
BoneScript for the foreseeable future?

Will the image be 2016-01-31 or something else?   I notice the
beagleboard.org/latest-images page was last edited Jan 31, 2016 but the
latest 8.3 image is 2016-01-24 and the latest 7.9 is the 2015-11-12 I'm
currently using.

Can I get to 8.3 2016-01-24 from 8.2 2015-12-06 with apt-get updates and
installs? or should I download the new image and start over?

The node-red I've installed for the 2015-11-12 image appears to use
BoneScript for the "Beaglebone" nodes as I had to edit the config file to
allow bonescript to get them to work.  But there is no PWM node, although
the GPIO nodes seem to throw the same errors in the terminal that ran the
node-red-pi command to start everything as does the tab in Cloud9 that runs
the BoneScript example programs.  (I haven't bothered with starting
node-red automatically yet).

Thanks for explaining the bmap tool, I'd wondered what the *.bmap files
were for, when I've downloaded images I'd just figured I didn't need them
:)

I think the "top level" beaglebone.localhost web page needs some serious
updating as the link:
http://192.168.7.2/bone101/Support/BoneScript/updates/
is still talking about Angstrom.

This is all someone like my friend would likely see if he'd just bought a
board and hoped for the best.  He'd quickly be terminally dead-in-the-water
confused and either just give up on the idea or go back to trying to
implement it by wiring up timers and relays.  He's in a rural area with
only cell-phone service Internet access so hours of Googling and websurfing
is just not practical.   Books like the "Beaglebone Cookbook" and
""Exploring Beaglebone are great, but they are wrong in ways very
disconcerting to a beginner by the time they are published.

While the link to beagleboard.org/latest-images is good, there is nothing
there to give him a clue as to if he'll need 7.9 8.3 or Angstrom.  This is
not helped by the fact that boards like the BBG seem to be shipping with
completely broken images in the eMMC -- there are other threads here about
this.