On Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 3:26:37 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Wally Bkg <wb666...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
> > So you are saying I will still need to stay with the 7.9 image series
> for
> > BoneScript for the foreseeable future?
>
> or install the 3.8.x based kernel on jessie.

Other than the  Bonescript PWM analogWrite() not working and the other
"harmless" error messages thrown, its hard to see how either would make a
difference to my friend.  He is not in a position to do a lot of image
downloading or apt-get updating for lack of adequate Internet bandwidth at
his rural location (he's actually "off-grid" running on solar power).

The fact remains I could not explain why anyone should use Jessie over
Wheezy, or vice-versa, other than "Jessie is newer and is the future".  But
if the 3.8.x kernel on Jessie fixed the PWM and error message nags I'd
quickly install it before I give him the BBG and proto-plate setup I've
made to get him started.

> > Can I get to 8.3 2016-01-24 from 8.2 2015-12-06 with apt-get updates and
> > installs? or should I download the new image and start over?
>
> Yes/No
>
> Yes, you will get the same packages..
>
> No, you will not get the "extra" packages/things i added to
> "2016-01-24"...

If the extra stuff is all apt-get installable, a simple list of packages
removed or added for the updated images would seem to save a lot of
elinux.org download bandwidth. I assume that is also the reason for the
*.bmap versions.

> I think the "top level" beaglebone.localhost web page needs some serious
> > updating as the link:
> > http://192.168.7.2/bone101/Support/BoneScript/updates/
> > is still talking about Angstrom.
>
> That repo is right here:
>
> https://github.com/beagleboard/beaglebone-getting-started
>
> go ahead fork it and submit pull requests.

I would if I actually knew what the answers and changes were.  But it'd be
ugly as I've never authored a webpage nor have I any experience with web
authoring tools of any kind.  Authoring a webpage is just not on my bucket
list.  Although writing some PRU code is :)

I've had Beaglebones since the White, but this is the first time I've
actually tried to do anything with Cloud9 and Bonescript.  Pointing out the
problems I've found was in the hope that someone in position to fix it
would be made aware.  I'm perfectly willing to accept that Beagleboard.org
has given up on "beginners" instead focusing on near experts that want the
PRU or DSP of the X-15.  Other than not having on-board A/D and a much
lesser number of GPIO pins my friend would otherwise likely be better
served with a Raspberry Pi2.

Node-red is great, it'll be awesome if a few issues get fixed, having it
work in a downloaded image is a very good thing IMHO, although the
installation instructions on the node-red website are very good.

Angstrom is dead, it's maintainer left for a job at linaro, NO ONE has
> stepped up since the fall of 2013 to pick up maintenance.
>
>  Re forking the above, I'm in no position to declare "Angstrom Dead" on a
website or a forum post, although I've suspected it, given the lack of
updates since about 2013.  Although in my limited use of it and some of the
recent Debian images with my A5A BBB HDMI it seemed Angstrom GUI was more
responsive, although a lot more limited.

I've given up on BBB HDMI, as I'm finding the GUI apps I want to use mostly
work better with ssh -X anyway,  which is pretty neat when I run them on
the BBG :)   Although it doesn't take a lot of GUI app installations to
overflow the 4GB eMMC.

I'm not sure that no one stepping up for Angstrom is such a bad thing,
Debian is much better documented (probably the most complete of all
distros) and all the really "minimal" Linux systems seem to be moving to
Yacto project.  I've always though there has been too much duplicated
effort in Linux.