Chelsea,  As was mentioned, the BBB input pins can't be more than 1.8V so
you will need a voltage divider to take your power supply voltage down
between 0 and 1.8V.
This page might help you: http://www.alfonsomartone.itb.it/hclbmf.html

And it is possible you have already damaged that pin if you connected up
anything more than 1.8V so when you make your resistor divider circuit and
try it, if it doesn't work, try another ADC input pin.  Also test the
divider circuit with a volt meter first to be sure the max voltage of your
power supply presents a max of 1.8V on the voltage divider circuit.

Doug

<http://www.alfonsomartone.itb.it/hclbmf.html>On Wednesday, February 10,