Yep, a linear regulator will cook with a BBB attached. Assuming the BBB
consumes 1A, then you will dissipate (25v - 5v) * 1A = 20Watts. This regulator
cannot handle that power dissipation and will die. Better to use a switching
regulator which has an efficiency of around 90% or better.

Regards,
John