Problem with GDB, is you cannot start the debugger until after the kernel
module is loaded, which means no debugging of init or probe sections. The
reason is GDB doesn’t know where in memory the kernel module is loaded until
after it is loaded. This is why you need a kernel aware debugger like
Lauterbach which loads the kernel module code, loads the debug symbols and
breaks at the start of init.

Regards,
John