Is the default boot the eMMC or the sd card?

I thought it was the eMMC but I'm helping out some friends and they
took the latest Jessie 8.3 console flasher image, stuck in the sd
card, turned on the BBB, and it flashed without holding the user boot
button.

I'm not sure what they were running previously :(

I wouldn't have thought that would work and I don't have a spare BBB
at the moment to try it, so I was wondering if 1.) I'm confused or 2.)
something changed or 3.) someone can upgrade my knowledge of how the
BBB boots.

Josh