I don't think this is the problem.  /dev/ttyS1 exists and works with
minicom (as root, after doing the config-pin uart commands)  /dev/ttyO1 is
a link to /dev/ttyS1.  While it may not be "optimal" by default the
Bonescript and Cloud9 stuff run as root, which I think is a good choice
initially as there would be no end to permission problems, especially from
Beaglebone users with Windows hosts.

I don't think anyone should put a Beaglebone or Raspberry Pi, etc. live on
the Internet, if you need to do it that's a whole lot of extra expertise
required.  OTOH I'm happy with my IOT SBCs running behind a solid firewall
for outgoing connections with trusted status among them after setting
strong passwords on the default accounts and disabling root login over SSH.
 If I needed to serve up data to the live Internet from my IOT devices, I'd
use a third party website as a middle man -- one of the public mqtt brokers
would be a good place to start depending how "private" you need to keep
your data.