Dennis,
I did both since I realized you were right on both.

I had fixed the Tkinter problem a couple or three weeks ago and somehow when I was trying to get systemd to work, I must have clobbered Tkinter or something. So now I am reloading Debian Wheezy, bone50. I also was having trouble with the latest Wheezy, 79. Don't know why. I was using putty to start my GUI program with a keyboard and mouse connected to the BBB thru a USB hub, per suggestion by Steve Plant on the BBB users forum. I have myProg.py loaded at /home/debian/Desktop and found that I had to start it with sudo python myProg.py. That has worked fine for a couple of weeks or so and I was dismayed to see the Tkinter error show up again. I have a 4D Systems 4DCAPE-70T attached to the BBB to give me the GUI display and like I say, it was working terrifically for the past two or three weeks.

Hopefully I will be able to get systemd to start my GUI program. I would like it to start up upon resetting the BBB. Or maybe I can have a script on the Debian desktop that I can get to trigger my GUI program? Somehow I need to make it easy for the users to start the code, not requiring the mouse and keyboard. Any suggestions?

I couldn't make any sense of the Debian bone79, just seeing the blank screen like you said. Very strange, the bone79.
Thanks, John