The DTB I posted includes am33xx-overlay-edma-fix.dtsi, which enables mcasp0
and mcasp1. This causes the snd_soc_davinci_mcasp driver to load, and it
configures itself at that time. But that DTB doesn't have the necessary entries
for that driver to properly configure. When you then later load the overlay
(e.g. BB-BONE-AUDI-02), the driver ignores the new entries.

There are a couple of solutions. The best is to move all the remaining entries
that are in the overlay into a new .dts file based on this <
http://pastebin.com/Wja7ZQRk>, compile that, and load it at boot.

Or, compile this .dts <http://pastebin.com/vny3wpnq> and load it at boot, then
load the cape overlay. The drawback to this is (apparently) the eDMA slots
won't get assigned properly for mcasp, so there might be issues down the road.
It seems to work as-is for me, but I don't know if there is higher CPU loading,
or what. I don't really understand the eDMA issues.

> On Apr 20, 2016, at 11:48 , Rafael Vega <conta...@rafaelvega.co> wrote:
>
> Thanks Rick!
>
> When you say the driver ends up not being properly configured when you load
> the overlay, does that mean I should not load the overlay? Or should I load
> it and expect problems? which problems?
>

> On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 3:05:22 PM UTC-5, Rick M wrote:
>
> > On Apr 19, 2016, at 10:27 , Rafael Vega <cont...@rafaelvega.co> wrote:
> >
> > > dtb=am335x-boneblack-audio.dtb
> > >
> > > doesn't setup the emmc...
> >
> > Does this mean that the board won't be able to boot from the emmc when
> > using this dtb? If so, how is it supposed to be used?
>
> I had to make one that also enabled the emmc:
>
>         http://pastebin.com/Wja7ZQRk
>
> Note that there's a problem with that file. It includes
> am33xx-overlay-edma-fix.dtsi, which causes the mcasp driver to load first,
> and it ends up not being properly configured when you load the overlay. I'll
> be writing a full DTS for my project, rather than use the overlay mechanism,
> but for now that's how I do it.
>

> --
> Rick Mann
> rm...@latencyzero.com