You cannot just use a supercap. You have to use a boost switching regulator to
keep the voltage on the processor constant while the supercap discharges.
This is a lot more complicated than you suggest. You also have to deal with the
case of brown outs where the power is only off for fractions of a seconds or
cases where the power comes on and then off again before the board has fully
powered up. This requires a power monitor and a state machine to only power the
board on once the supercap is fully charged. Also, if you don’t recycle the
power after a power fail, the BBB has the potential to lock and remains locked
until the power is recycled.

Regards,
John

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/E7D92EF1-EF2E-4761-A458-BE0CBB879901%40gmail.com.