I have been building embedded systems for a while now and I am considering
using the beaglebone (BBB) for an upcoming project, but I am confused by
everything I read regarding the shutdown requirements. As an embedded
system the only way to turn it off is to simply shutdown the power with a
switch, yet my preliminary research indicates that this is a no-no as it
may damage the BBB and/or corrupt the file system.  I also read a lot of
comments regarding voltage on the pins after a shutdown; in my case, very
likely there will be a CAT5 cable with live activity connected even after
power down; assume the magnetics should protect the BBB, but just checking.

I have used quite a few micro controllers and various self-standing
systems, but am fairly new to the BBB - still mostly reading about it.  Am
I missing something?  How can a device meant to be used in embedded systems
not be tolerant of power loss and be so finicky about power?

By the way, I can see there is a battery backup circuit but I do not want
to use a lithium battery for safety/temperature/cost reasons.  Using a
large capacitor also seems tricky as the shutdown may take a few seconds so
I don't see how that will work.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/4b2dc307-631d-405d-88d6-7537adb3ac29%40googlegroups.com.