Octavo Systems announced today they have released their OSD3358, the guts
of a BeagleBone Black including processor, RAM, power management and 140
passives in a single chip package (system-in-package or SIP).

http://octavosystems.com/2016/05/09/octavo-systems-releases-osd3358-system-package-device/

http://octavosystems.com/2016/05/09/osd3358-new-era-integration/

This means for those looking to do variants of the BeagleBone, your work
just got a lot simpler with 142 less parts to source and place on your PCB
design. You can potentially also use large mechanical drills and fewer
layers on your board. SOMs may have their place for greater customization
and even further integration, but this puts the majority of that into a
single package using popular traditional assembly methods (pick-and-place
and a reflow oven).

This also means that for people doing capes, it might not be so complex to
simply integrate this device onto your PCB and make a fully functional
system.

Further, for select designs looking to stay highly engaged with the
BeagleBoard.org community and maintain as much system compatibility as
possible, the BeagleBoard.org logo program (http://beagleboard.org/logo)
can help you participate in building the BeagleBoard.org community.

You can probably tell I'm pretty excited about this. No first product is
without its warts and I'm sure we'll hear a few of those soon, but I've
personally helped do board bring up on some 5 or so designs so far around
this chip without a substantial hiccup related to the SIP. It has been
super easy to work with and can help save a lot of headaches.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CA%2BT6QPm1EsnFQc91xiv1Caoy4LnfUbeG3Mr4oB9P5LGWzs1aBw%40mail.gmail.com.