I'm pretty sure( as I've seen it demonstrated a few times ) that there is a
kernel config option to change the video output resolution. So here . . .

$ cat /boot/uEnv.txt |grep cmdline
#cmdline=coherent_pool=1M quiet cape_universal=enable
cmdline=ipv6.disable=1
#cmdline=coherent_pool=1M quiet cape_universal=enable
*video=HDMI-A-1:1024x768@60e*
#cmdline=init=/opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/init-eMMC-flasher-v3.sh

I'm afraid I do not know much more than that however.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORpB_qWMxp1CAeTpAA7MbyL5Lqro1J%2BHq7J8_1aep-qRmQ%40mail.gmail.com.