> William,
>
> Thanks for input about using BBB itself.
> But I am worried about scalability of this solution. Software tends to
grow very quickly.

What software tends to grow quickly ? You really need to think about what
you're doing. But if you're writing all the code yourself, and maybe using
some form of a Linux libc, and / or standard Linux API calls. You program
is not going to be so large the Beaglebone can't compile it.

Give me an example of what you plan on doing though . . .

> Is BBB powerful enough to compile relatively significant source code
amount ?

It depends, see above.

> And which IDE do you recommend to work  natively on BBB? The same as you
mentioned above ?

I recommend no IDE. I use gcc from the cmd line, and I use several
different text editors to write my code. My setup is a little different
than many. I have an NFS server that shares a directory to the Beaglebone.
On the beaglebone this is where I compile my code, if not in a ramdisk. The
NFS server also run Samba, and exports this same directory out so I can
connect to it from Windows. Then, I use Visual Studio Code, Sublime text 3,
or whatever text editor I like in Windows to write code ( live ) on / for
the Beaglebone. Then it's just a matter of . . .

$ gcc somefile.c -o somefile -Wall    /* and whatever other options I want
and need */
$ chmod +x ./somefile                /* File needs to be given executable
permissions */
$ ./somefile                        /* Then the application does its thing
. . .*/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORpaE5GC%2BDT-5g7gD0YaLkLHayoTg9_0Jy8duFEtuLADdg%40mail.gmail.com.