Hi,
I'm new to the BeagleBoneBlack - sorry !!
I do have a lot of experience with embedded Atmel processors and
programming in general.
I have spent hours Googling and trying just about everything I can think of
to re-falsh my BBB with Debian 8.4 (Jessie 2016-05-13) with no luck.
I'll try and explain; please forgive my newbie-ness to the BBB, my utter
frustration and, probably, not providing enough info at this time. Here
goes.

I have a BBB running a 2014 Linux Distro (the one the BBB came with).
I run on both a Mac mini and a MacBookPro (both 2014 with OSX-Sierra).
I can connect to the BBB; mini-USB to Mac (SSH via Terminal) and
web-browser (192.168.7.2).
I downloaded bone-debian-8.4-lxqt-4gb-armhf-2016-05-13-4gb.img.xz from
BB.org.
I unzipped it.
I used Raspberry Pi Baker to write the image file to my 4GB uSD card.
I managed to boot the BBB from the new Linux Distro (Debian 8.4 - Jessie
2016-05-13). I know this to be the case because a successful login responds
with the current Distro version.

To my problem :
I have tried a lot over the past few weeks and may be little mixed up but :
To boot from the uSD card (once I had a new Linux Distro - 2016) on it) I
simply held the Boot button depressed whilst cycling the Rest button,
waiting till all 4 Usr LEDs lit and releasing the Boot button. Took me a
while to get there but... pretty simple in the end.
I was under the misconception that this would flash the eMMC. Naturally,
upon removal of the uSD card and resetting the BBB I simply ended up with
the original (as shipped - 2014) version of the Distro. Repeat the
boot-from-uSD sequence again and I was back to the new 2016 Distro. Sweet -
kind of ! But not flashing of the eMMC...

So, to be fair there is rather a lot of mixed up info on the web. I put
this down to the various versions of BBBs and the various Distros etc
but... confusing to a total newbie...
So, what I THINK I have to do is modify the uEnv.txt file (on my BBB, this
is found in the /Boot/uBoot directory) by removing the "#" at the beginning
of the line cmdline=init=/opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/init-eMMC-flasher-v3.sh.
To be fair my uEnv.txt file doesn't have this line so I copied and pasted
it as the last line of the file. I used 'nano' from within Terminal to
accomplish this... Unfortunately, rebooting the BBB did not result in an
EMC flash - at least no obvious difference in Usr LEDs (no cylon-style
'swiping', no automatic reboot and  more and no all-4 Usr LEDs lit - even
after an hour or more).

I now also find that :
-1- rebooting the BBB *without* uSD card inserted results in the original
2014 Distro (eMMC) being loaded, whilst
-2- rebooting the BBB *with* uSD card inserted (new Linux 8.4 2016 Distro)
results in the BBB's network service (SystemPreferences/Network pane)
reporting the BBB trying to connect (it doesn't in fact) with some wierd
but fixed IP address. Logging in via Terminal is refused as is trying
to land the 192.168.7.2 page from my web browser (both Safari and Chrome)...

I have struggled with this for days...

Would somebody be able to assist please. Any / all pointers and help will
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million in advance - if only for reading this right to the end !

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/2b3051ef-6279-452e-903f-fd48b4c3f390%40googlegroups.com.