> On Nov 15, 2016, at 10:17 PM, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey Everyone,
>
> Over the weekend, there was a few requests to bump our version of nodejs.
>
> So everyone knows, the v0.12.x is going eol shortly:
>
> https://github.com/nodejs/LTS/blob/master/README.md
>
> So i started looking at all our default nodejs packages and started
> patching them to support 3 versions of nodejs (v0.12.x/v4.x/v6.x).
> For those that don't know, we do a pre-build on all npm packages, so
> the end user doesn't see the build delay caused by "npm install
> xyz"...
>
> Originally i thought v0.12.x -> v4.x was going to be a little painful,
> but that turned out pretty easy, and v6.x is coming along pretty
> good.. So here is my current rebuild status of our nodejs packages:
>
> cloud9 (1 massive package) (100%)
> bonescript (1 npm package) (100%)
> bone101 (2 npm package) (100%)
> node-red (4 npm package) (90%-went home knowing what i need to finish this)
> google-iot (1 npm package) (not started)
> wificonfig (1 npm package) (not started)
>
> I'm thinking now to just drop v4.x, i just did that as i'm a little
> conservative, and therefor switching next sunday's image to v6.x
> nodejs by default (20161120)..
>
> For those that are still using v0.12.x, i'm not going to drop you..
> You can see how the deb package works here:
>
> https://github.com/rcn-ee/repos/blob/master/bb-bone101/suite/jessie/debian/postinst#L19-L52
>
> (i'll probably drop the v4.x)
>
> So "as-long" as the package still builds, we'll push updates.
>
> Thoughts?

Big question for me is testing. How can we get it out to users for feedback
before making it the default?

I prefer my package.json to specify specific versions of software tested to be
known good. Do you know if some of these have backwards compatibility issues
that prevent the packages from running with old versions?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/69E66B26-287C-4B31-96EA-69FD28B91FB2%40ti.com.