On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 2:40 AM, Elena ``of Valhalla'' <
elena.valha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2016-12-15 at 14:49:25 -0700, William Hermans wrote:
> > Debian, and Ubuntu use different init daemons, at least the last I
> > read. Although I've also read that Canonical was seriously considering
> > switching to systemd, soon.
>
> Already happened, in 15.04

I figured as much, but did not bother to look.

> They still use their own custom desktop environment unity and they are
> still working on their own display server mir (which afaik they use in
> the phone version of Ubuntu)

I never used Unity. I have used Lubuntu(LXDE) 14,04, have it installed on
an old laptop in fact. I think it rivals the desktop of Windows, and is
very good for that sort of thing.

> Also, Debian uses systemd by default in the linux archs, but still
> supports sysV init and iirc openrc (altought the latter is probably used
> by just a handful of people). Using Upstart as in Ubuntu was available
> as another choice (and possibly still is), but since its developement
> has been stopped by upstream (Canonical) it's probably going to die away.
>
> So, there are several "Debian without systemd" websites out there that are
dedicated to instructing a user to remove systemd, and reinstall SysV. I've
personally done this in the past, but I think more people out there that
are old school probably do not want to deal with systemd - At least
initially. I do understand why, as it's a serious pain having to try and
figure something out, that you already know how to do another way. But
documentation now seems to be much better, and it's not too hard figuring
things out now. That's my take on it anyhow.

Anyway, I've been using Debian a loooong time - Since the 90's. That and my
hands on experience with Ubuntu also goes back a long ways. Furthest back I
remember is 8.xx, but possibly further back. On a, or for a "desktop", now
days Ubuntu does not seem all that terrible. But I do recall the days where
you couldn't trust Ubuntu to do much of anything. Personally, I think for
the beaglebone,  Ubuntu is useless. Definitely, on the cmd line, it's not
easier to use than Debian. On an x86 Desktop *maybe*, but only because
there is a much better out of the box experience. Then stuff like LXDE +
Cairo was easy on 14.04, where it would turn into a hair pulling "festival"
attempting the same thing on Debian.

I'm of the opinion however, if you're running X on Debian . . .well then
you're doing it wrong, or you're using the wrong distro. Simply, because
there are other more "cutting edge" distro's out there that will have a
much better desktop experience. Ubuntu is one, and Sabayon( Gentoo based )
is another. Others yet, seem to like LMDE( Mint ) . . . and I know a few
who think that Kali is something to be used as a desktop . . .heh.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORqZ3cTK3J%3DYSWWaQB%3DcZRXEeNs4nX5Q5o9E_8O6uCTXaA%40mail.gmail.com.