Ok a few more tries and have had mixed success! I followed your exact steps
with the following possible exceptions:

   - Using BeagleBone Green (a new one)
   - Power from Bench Power-Supply (high quality output, up to 5A) through
   pins p9.1(GND) and p9.5(VDD_5V)

I tried using said microSD card on another BBG and on an revC BBB with
broken power section (yeah I know, connected through p9.7 SYS_5V) with the
same fstab problem.

I mounted the microSD card, extracted the /boot/initrd file with gunzip and
cpio and the fstab is indeed empty!
I reran the beaglebone-black-make-microSD-flasher-from-eMMC.sh script again
and this time managed to flash the BBG!
I then proceeded to flash another one and even my broken-down BBB.
Everything worked.

Funny thing is that when I look at the fstab in this initrd, it is still
empty. so it probably wasn't the one being looked at and I should do some
more reading on the full boot sequence...

What else can I check to fix this? I am out of ideas! Coul I manually
generate an fstab file with the correct UUID ?
In the end, what I want is an easy way to replicate a "reference" board to
may others. Is there another way?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/c6c36613-da70-4b2c-9216-c6833e844f42%40googlegroups.com.