Woody:

SPI and Serial Data from a UART are very different.

SPI is synchronous with a supplied clock.  All that is sent on the data
line is data.
Addressing is via a separate "Chip Select" line.

UARTs and their serial data are a legacy serial communications system from
the teletype days.
There is no clock sent with UART.  It adds start and stop bits to frame the
data as overhead, and requires that the independent clocks at the sending
and receiving ends are within 5 percent of each other, or so. If you add a
second stop bit (an option), then your independent send and receive clocks
can be over ten percent apart. There is no explicit addressing. It is up to
the receiver to figure out who the message is for.  The large permitted
errors in clock frequency date from the time that quart crystals were
extremely expensive, and therefore not a solution. The "clocks" were
mechanical flyweight centrifugal regulators.

--- Graham

==

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/5258340f-c5a5-47b1-8864-09f243ae3ad7%40googlegroups.com.