On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 12:24 PM, 'woody stanford' via BeagleBoard <
beagleboard@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> You are obviously knowledgeable, Graham, so we'll pose these questions to
> you then.
>
> (1) Is serial (ie. UART) communication on a BBBW (Rev C) Angstrom "distro"
> (ie. stock) done with the ttyO1 to ttyO6 "terminals". Is this HOW it is
> done? Elaborate if you feel the need. (Hoping he's going to say yes to this
> so I can just use stdio.h and feel confident about it)

Do you really mean Angstrom? If so, switch to one of the current Debian
distros as fast as you can.

ttyO1 to ttyO6 are not "terminals."  A terminal client would use ttyOx to
access the corresponding UART based serial ports.

The "stdio.h" equivalent for serial communications is "termios.h" .   I
suggest you Google that and start reading. Look for things like
"Programming with Termios".

> (2) What is THE accepted procedure(s) for enabling PWM/UART/TIMER/GPIOs on
> a BBB? Is it as they say by manipulating the uEnv.txt file, or would the
> pin-config utility be better, or am I mistaken here as well?
>
> There are many ways to enable an IO on the Beaglebone. Custom .dts/.dtb,
Universal I/O, or use the pre-compiled overlays you access from uEnv.txt.
I usually find that for a serious application, I am just better off doing a
custom .dts/.dtb for my application, so I am in control, and know
everything that is going on.
If you only want to do one or two things for a simple application, the
overlays work fine.
But, for instance, if you are using audio streaming from the McASP as part
of your application, you have to start with a different base .dtb, that I
am not sure has been tested for compatibility with all the overlays.

Not so critical but interested on your opinion:

> (3) How do you feel about, at the board level, running a BBB's UART's TX
> to a bunch of RX's on (slave) MCU's, and then using a 1 byte "address" to
> figure which MCU the following byte(s) were for?
>
> Lots of serial protocols do things like that.  If it is a closed system,
and you are in control of both ends, should work fine.

> (4) Conversely, how do you feel about, again at the board level, running
> the MCU's UART TX's all to one bus wire and connecting that to the BBB's
> RX. Electrically and otherwise I mean? And then prefacing each transmit
> with a 1-byte "address" so the BBB knows which MCU the following byte(s) is
> coming from?

See (3).  Sounds like you are re-inventing Ethernet.

The fun begins when you want status back from the slaves, and now you have
to build a custom bus receive combiner that adds everything back together
from the slaves.  And an overlay protocol that deals with bus collisions,
if the slaves can autonomously speak without being polled.

--- Graham

==

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CANN_KV7gXcLgOCpK%2B_gmZtxrLzLphTEOL_4HOQp7%3DHx33O9Jcw%40mail.gmail.com.