OK, I haven't breadboarded this myself, but here's A circuit that looks
like it will do the 3 to 5 V conversion (and back interestingly
enough...just check if the driving volt level has enough juice to drive the
LED).

Its unidirectional, remember this so two can implement a UART TX and RX,
however there are some hardware protocols that require line
bidirectionality that I can't easily figure out how to do.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-e7tP5_dQ1u4/WJLoQF-lHdI/AAAAAAAAAEo/-NRZfWX9bCsVpmLUvhlBFuQVu3qPLYhsQCLcB/s1600/PS2532-Example.jpg>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/b8489925-1439-4dc8-bd80-eb8037c01b65%40googlegroups.com.