OK, here is another idea that performs a similar process, however it can
only work from a higher voltage level down to a lower one (like a TTL 5V
down to a BBB 3.3v level, NOT the other way around...you'll have to use the
optoisolator approach for that). How a voltage divider works is by the
ratio of the two resistor values you select:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KNkptwmAZDQ/WJLs8FsPciI/AAAAAAAAAE0/mRI1uCDhObsfZ53bQyKRSddnuKHnMe4uACLcB/s1600/voltage_divider1.png>

OK, how I always conceive of the schematic of a voltage divider is the
schematic on the far left. Your Vin would be the 5V digital signal (NOT
VCC, the signal itself) you were trying to divide down to 3.3v (remember it
can't do the up conversion, it'll only go "downhill") which appears on the
Vout.

I even have the optimal resistor values for you that make sure the currents
right, strong enough to drive the logic but weak enough that it doesn't
consume any power really.

For 5V to 3.3V signal conversion:

R1 = 1700 Ohms (or a 1.7K resistor)

R2 = 3300 Ohms (or a 3.3K resistor)

Breadboard it out first. Take two resistors of the previously stated
values, manually apply a continuous +5VDC to the Vin, tap it between the
two resistors (don't forget the ground connection its how voltage division
actually occurs) and verify with DMM that the output voltage is indeed
3.3v. Now you have a nice little way of doing that voltage conversion. Add
it to you bag of tricks.

For the newbies, whatever you do DON'T dream of passing ALL your signals
over big arrays of optoisolators and voltage dividers, just for elegance
sake. What you do is you run multiple voltage "domains" on your board and
then when you absolutely, positively have to do the conversion, do so. For
example, don't surround a TTL MCU with several optoisolators, run it off of
a 5V bus (common ground though) and thread through the single signal (like
a UART_TX from the BBB through the optoisolator). On the board level
remember you don't necessarily have to thread the UART_RX back a lot of
time (like for status). A good example is my PIC based motor speed
control...it only receives a TX. You don't have to check at the board
level, it always works...saving you a voltage divider back to the BBB.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/df04ef3e-e2e8-4146-a221-2041913192b6%40googlegroups.com.