The Importance of Datasheets

One of the things I really learned doing this kind of stuff was the
importance of datasheets. As far as I'm concerned, if a part doesn't have a
datasheet, I don't use it. And I would go so far as to even say a datasheet
in PDF format. They are important to use, to download to a specific
directory on your computer, and important to actually use.

Datasheets can give you the dimensions of the part (like how they should be
laid out on a PCB) as well as critical information as to their voltage
rating, current carrying capabilities, as well as their function. Good
datasheets also include any discrete networks that are important to
operating the component well (you shouldn't have to go hunting for related
circuit designs that are needed to successfully use the component...though
this is basically accepted culturally that you must).

For me datasheets are a must in that there is always some piece of
information I need but can't find. Datasheets help you avoid that long
waiting time that it takes to go find the missing information and getting
back to designing.

Make a directory called datasheets, maybe even in your downloads directory
so that when you see a component you like or already have, you have every
possible piece of information on it. This is key to any kind of serious
hobbyist work IMO.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/8563a592-2616-423c-a0aa-42f323f11ec5%40googlegroups.com.