On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 1:20 PM, mzimmers <mzimm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Before I do anything, it would seem to make sense to find out the name of
> the device on my Debian desktop. As I mentioned, I have /dev/ttyS[0-3]. Is
> there some way to determine which of these is the one I plugged the serial
> cable into?

There are a few ways. But probably the most expedient way would be to tail
dmesg, like so:

$ dmesg | tail

There is a way to get tail to "loop" so it stays running while you hotplug
devices,, etc, but I do not recall what the command switch is off hand.
Maybe -f, I'm not sure. Anyway, here is the point. run the command above
without the device plugged in. Plus the device in, then run the command
again, and see what's changed. It should say something about the mrusb blah
blah, then givesome information on your USB device.

Another way, would be to ls in the dev directory, and look at all the tty
entries. What you'll be looking for is ttyUSB, or ttyACM. Typically, what
you're looking for will stand out, and if you only have one serial adapter
connected, you'll only see one like it.

There are other ways too, which are too complicated to get into. But
sometimes you can find information about your device by looking through the
/sys sysfs file structure. For this case, that should not be necessary.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORqaUcjsSvRjkb7CBvuE8Phi8iRQOjwTG9cqVQ_SNCa4yg%40mail.gmail.com.