how do you connect local via console or remote via (whatever) ?
you must have you X server running.

When you are local

You can open a terminal window ? (xterm, ...)
(note: Handling is more easy if you have a windowmanager running)

now you must be able to try "xrandr -q" inside the terminal window.

hope that help,

re,
 wh

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/58A6ED9D.60606%40bfs.de.