Using the bmap-tools solution worked! Booting using the S2 button pressed
worked and a desktop became visible!

I first downloaded the bmap file for the BeagleBone Debian 8.7 image:

https://debian.beagleboard.org/images/bone-debian-8.7-lxqt-4gb-armhf-2017-03-19-4gb.bmap

(linked from https://beagleboard.org/latest-images)

I then followed the bmap-tools installation instructions on the following
https://github.com/MarkAYoder/BeagleBoard-exercises/blob/master/setup/bmap.sh

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8b08EZXCnIU/WN194FrRhEI/AAAAAAAAAGE/ub2C3QCUvL46Ul2A2hgJlg9pHvLGjM8lwCLcB/s1600/beaglebone-bmap-tool.png>

To flash the eMMC you need to change a file in the boot partition.

To turn these images into eMMC flasher images, edit the /boot/uEnv.txt file
> on the Linux partition on the microSD card and remove the '#' on the line
> with 'cmdline=init=/opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/init-eMMC-flasher-v3.sh'.
> Enabling this will cause booting the microSD card to flash the eMMC. Images
> are no longer provided here for this to avoid people accidentally
> overwriting their eMMC flash.

It shows a night rider animation on the LEDs, indicating that the image is
written to the eMMC memory.

Thanks a lot for the support!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/59c8d777-285b-4cdd-b953-9721eda29d97%40googlegroups.com.