Ok so an observation.

I've got one custom overlay to load. Well technically two, but only one at
a time so far. I've only experimented with one at a time so far. However,
the image I downloaded was an sdcard only image, and no flasher image on
the testing image page. So what ends up happening is that the eMMC second
stage bootloader interferes with the changes we're trying to make from
sdcard, The problem here, is that I have a custom cape on the beaglebone(
green ), and I can not put a serial debug cable on the beaglebone, let
alone depress the boot button . . .

The bootloader on the eMMC was. . .

root@wgd:/opt/scripts/tools# *sudo ./version.sh | grep bootloader*
bootloader:[microSD-(push-button-default)]:[/dev/mmcblk0]:[U-Boot
2017.03-00002-gbfe60d6057]
bootloader:[eMMC-(bootrom-default)]:[/dev/mmcblk1]:[U-Boot
*2016.03-00001-gd12d09f*]

Big problem there for those who would be unaware, but I  was able to "fix"
this problem of mine by flashing the eMMC via changing the cmdline= to the
flasher image variety. So now, both my custom overlays have loaded, one at
a time. The only other overlay I need to test for now is the stock BB-ADC
overlay, which I'm sure will work.

@Robert

So short of the serial output, how do we know an overlay has loaded ? I'll
have to get with my buddy to change the cape he's designed so it'll have a
serial "header pass through" so that the serial debug pins will be on top
of the cape. I was able to determine the capes loaded by issuing the
command lsmod, and seeing what's loaded, but running cat on */slots did not
really yield much information.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORobjdWDBjeBFrznBFw7W7ySNT7Bd3Jg_-vBnHaya%3Dt-cg%40mail.gmail.com.