> Short story, you're using a powered hub, and you need to keep that hub
from sending power back into the host.

No, the hub is not powered. Also, as I said, the problem exists only with
the combination power supply/usb connection, which I rarely need. But it
still can be a problem of someone else.

So, I would guess, it is more of checking the issue by the board
constructors before the next rev of BeagleBone. Especially that someone in
the other thread reports that the problem is spotty. With an oscilloscope,
power supplies of different power, capes or not, USB cables of different
length etc., until the cause is apparent. Or just don't care :)

In any case, I can be of help, for example I can check if the problem
persists with the board connected directly to a PC.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/8001ad66-27be-410a-b238-e5a760628cfd%40googlegroups.com.