I would appreciate the writeup, thank you.

My project requires interfacing to an IC with I2S input. I planned on using
(something like) aplay to write audio out to I2S/McASP channel (using
built-in driver support) and hoped I could also use the built-in support
(drivers) for SPI and/or I2C using the /dev/spidev<x.y> or /dev/i2c-<n>
devices to control the IC.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/a4486923-19cb-4a24-aa39-6a54d96a5d01%40googlegroups.com.