Another update: when I said "works" below, I should have said "builds."
When I try to run, though, problems occur:

mzimmers@beaglebone:~/exploringBB/extras/kernel/ebbchar$ sudo insmod
ebbchar.ko
mzimmers@beaglebone:~/exploringBB/extras/kernel/ebbchar$ ls -l /dev/ebb*
crw------- 1 root root 245, 0 Jun 21 17:36 /dev/ebbchar
mzimmers@beaglebone:~/exploringBB/extras/kernel/ebbchar$ sudo ./test
Starting device test code example...
Type in a short string to send to the kernel module:
xxx
Writing message to the device [xxx].

Message from syslogd@beaglebone at Jun 21 17:36:25 ...
 kernel:[194752.007878] Internal error: : 1b [#6] SMP ARM

Message from syslogd@beaglebone at Jun 21 17:36:25 ...
 kernel:[194752.126027] Process test (pid: 4825, stack limit = 0xdc7d2218)

Any suggestions? Thanks.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/a11a503f-20f2-4f19-99f0-45e3fd2e7db6%40googlegroups.com.