> On Jul 3, 2017, at 1:57 PM, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Jul 3, 2017 12:56 PM, "Clark Sann" <acs...@icloud.com
> <mailto:acs...@icloud.com>> wrote:
> Thanks for that information, Robert. That might be just what I need. I am
> currently using a March version so I am a little old. Any reason I shouldn't
> try the Stretch version?
>
> Well let's see, the reason I outlined in my last email is one reason.

Well Robert, I may have missed it, but I don't find where your last mail
referred to Stretch at all. Instead it specifically referred to “snapshots”.
Then you linked to a page shows links to BOTH Jessie and Stretch. So I was
hoping to get your advice on whether the latest version of Jessie or Stretch
was better for wifi.

> Now in the event I find I do need the USB based adapter in addition to the
> built-in adapter, do the later versions make that any easier?
>
> That would be for you to do.

OK, great. I guess I will try to remove connman altogether in hopes that does
not cause the kernel to rename my interfaces as Jacek has mentioned. It really
sounds like connman is half baked. I’m having trouble seeing what problem it
solves because it sure seems to bring in a lot of new problems.

> Or later when I switch to the BB Blue, I would like to use both radios in it
> as wifi. I see where the Bluetooth radio can be reconfigured as wifi. Will
> the later Debian versions make that easy to do?
>

> Ah, where exactly do you see that the Bluetooth can be configured as WiFi?
> That's a pretty stupid snake oil article…

Yeaaaa, it may be “stupid snake oil", but if it is you need to take it up with
TI, who designed the chip and wrote the all the documents I read.

Here is some supporting information:

https://github.com/beagleboard/beaglebone-blue/blob/master/BeagleBone_Blue_BOM.csv
  This BOM shows that U7. the wifi chip on the Blue, is a WL1835MODGBMOCR. This
is how I found the part number of the wifi chip (unless the BOM is wrong).

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/wl1835mod.pdf  This is the data sheet for the
chip. Look at figure 1-1. It clearly shows that
RF_ANT1 can be connected to either Wifi or BT. Table 4-1 also confirms.

and then you can confirm by looking at this…

http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/swpb012b/swpb012b.pdf  Look at the WiLink 8 Block
Diagram. It also very clearly shows that Antenna 1 supports both Wifi and BT.

The documents I have found seem to show it is possible to have two wifi
interfaces from this chip (at the expense of losing BT), but do not appear to
show how to do it.
Does anyone know how I would proceed to switch RF_ANT1 to wifi? Hopefully it
isn’t something as complicated as rewriting a driver.

Clark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/2A9F5443-E88C-48B5-961C-932539D71361%40icloud.com.