I'm generating a high rate of errors 10-20% when sending messages out via xbee
connected to UART but only when I use PWM at the same time. I'm using UART2 and
I've tested this behavior using all of the other available PWM pins. Below is a
piece of simplified code that has a high error rate. When I comment out the
section that turns the PWM signal on, the UART/xbee sends messages pretty much
faultlessly.

What is the fix to eliminate the high error rate?

import Adafruit_BBIO.UART as UART
import Adafruit_BBIO.PWM as PWM
import serial
from time import sleep

duty = 5.
pwm_freq = 60
polarity = 1
pin = "P9_16"

UART.setup("UART2")
PWM.start(pin, 100. - duty, pwm_freq, polarity)

ser = serial.Serial(port = "/dev/ttyO2", baudrate = 9600)
ser.close()

for i in range(30):

    message = "hello world"
    ser.open()
    if ser.isOpen():
        ser.write(message)
    else:
        print('message unsent - serial port could not be opened')
    ser.close()
    sleep(0.1)

PWM.stop(pin)
PWM.cleanup()