What are the errors? : When receiving the message (xbee connected to PC in API
mode) it is commonly scrambled by random characters - often one or two
characters per message often.

Why am I opening and closing the serial connection? : There was a reference on
Google that told me to do that for connections that could last a long time (but
now I can't find it). If it's advisable I'll leave it open the whole time. But
regardless the high error rate problem seems to be dependent only on whether
PWM is running or not.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/44f74bb6-6e5c-4556-b12f-d72d0d8df576%40googlegroups.com.