On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 2:00:37 PM UTC+1, Loïc Droz wrote:

> And I agree this a bad idea because it is a huge waste of computing power.
> I have tried using the BBB built in PWM pin which, as far as I know, can be
> configured to be a 50% duty cycle, stable clk signal by following this link
> : ... But so far as I haven't been able to make it work because the files
> mentioned there are not present in my kernel (Linux beaglebone
> 4.4.91-ti-r133 #1 SMP Tue Oct 10 05:18:08 UTC 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux). I
> would like to use that PWM though, is there a way to do it on the more
> recent kernels ?

I have no idea, I do not use the Hardware from within Linux but out of a
bare metal firmware...

> I could also do both operations on one PRU yes. However, since the audio
> processing steps involve memory writes to the host, I am worried these
> might not take deterministic time, which would prevent my clock my clock
> from being stable.

There is some shared memory available where both, PRU and main core have
access to. Since PRU has the priority for accessing this ram, you can use
it for a ringbuffer with defined timing which also can be read from the
main core.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/140f7d45-e8e6-4561-a92f-c053d9bcd9da%40googlegroups.com.