I could yes, but I read somewhere (can't remember where exactly, but it was
in some TI PowerPoint presentation that reading the eCAP register takes at
least 4 cycles, which is not ideal for my purposes. In the meantime I found
a way to use the BBB built in PWM as a CLK signal and it works now. Check
this link
<https://www.teachmemicro.com/beaglebone-black-pwm-ubuntu-device-tree/> if
you're interested. Thanks for your help nonetheless.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/73a403da-8322-46f1-8488-9d5114d02602%40googlegroups.com.