On 17/12/17 00:34, Graham wrote:
> An FTDI 3.3 Volt USB to UART0 connection will not blowup or hurt anything.
> You an hook it up and leave it hooked up, and not have to worry about
> damaging the Pocket Beagle,
> A 10K pullup to +3.3 V is also OK, but not actually required for the
> FTDI cable to work.
>
> Something like the   TTL-232R-3V3-WE   for wire pigtails.
>
> The damage warning is for things that will try to drive pins with
> currents high enough to damage semiconductor circuits and/or ESD
> protection circuits.
> Or, in the case of the boot pins, something that will over-ride a 100K
> resistor.

Ahh okay… yeah I used UART here as it's an example of something that
would be generally wired up continuously and has the property of
presenting a voltage when idle using push-pull logic.  I'd likely use
the MAX232 for a console port.

By the sounds of things, the problem is more down to inrush current than
voltage alone, and clearly the AM3358 doesn't have its pins in
high-impedance mode at boot-up or else it'd be impossible to achieve
those current levels.  3v3 in series with a megohm or more is never
going to produce more than 3µ3A, and GPIOs in "input" mode often have a
resistance in that ballpark.  A GPIO driven as a low output however,
could get nasty.

The plan was to have a series resistor, so this should be sufficient to
prevent catastrophe.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...