Worst case is prior to the chip being powered up, or while the rails are
being sequentially raised.
In that case, internal power can be a low as zero, and ESD diodes on each
pin can conduct at 0.7 Volts.
You damage individual pins or can avalanche the whole chip if you can drive
enough current.
--- Graham

==

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/0d7c8b93-fe86-4ba1-993a-fc137424f498%40googlegroups.com.