Hello Beaglebone experts,

I would like some basic guidance on how to approach the beaglebone from the
hardware and software point of view.

Before i start my query list ,let me say that i come from a embedded
hardware background,mostly worked on bare-board projects in close-loop
motor controlled applications,i am relatively new to operating systems.I
have used linux once for my basic networking and file handling needs two
years back.

I purchased the beagle-bone black to mainly to do two things:
*To familiarize/learn myself with linux and its basics features.
*Learn to interface external hardware with the BBB to perform time
sensitive tasks.(like control a pulse width of an H bridge,PID control loop
corrections).

Now for the quiry list:
1.Which version of linux should i run on the BBB.I searched many forums and
the community seemed to have a mixed review between Debian,mintOS,ubantu
and red-hat free edition.
2.Which programming language is most easiest to use when working with the
BBB.Python,C/C++,Java ? I have mostly used C and assembly,so will
persisting the the same be useful?I found some useful tutorials on the
beagle bone black here <http://www.toptechboy.com/beaglebone-black/> but it
is it is done in Python.
3.My final end project is to develop an on-grid inverter using the BBB,so
the BBB will act as the main CPU which will interact with the other
peripherals like a slave MCU(via SPI),a PT100 sensor via an i2C bus,run a
20x4 -8 bit LCD display directly from the Beagle bone black.I plan to use
the dedicated PRU unit of the sitara for some of these activities.
I would like to know,What are the prerequisites for doing this project? I
know the learning curve for this project is big,but with a good starting
point i am sure i will be able to get out a working prototype soon.

Many thanks,
Arun

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/d7d54b60-e031-4027-91a0-59f5a8a99ed6%40googlegroups.com.