On 13/02/2019 19:13, Robert Nelson wrote:
>> Sorry, I'm still a bit lost here ;).
>> How do I see the PRUSS kernel patches that you have picked up?
>
> Okay for v4.19.x & v4.20.x, i've picked up RFC 1: (I need to backport
> the am33xx-l4 dts changes to then backport RFC2..)
>
> https://github.com/RobertCNelson/bb-kernel/blob/am33x-v4.20/patch.sh#L382-L392
>
> https://github.com/RobertCNelson/bb-kernel/tree/am33x-v4.20/patches/drivers/ti/pruss
>
> from : https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/11/22/948
>
> https://github.com/RobertCNelson/bb-kernel/tree/am33x-v4.20/patches/drivers/ti/remoteproc
>
> from : https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/11/26/319
>
> and we needed: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/12/2/361
>
> https://github.com/RobertCNelson/bb-kernel/tree/am33x-v4.20/patches/drivers/ti/pruss-from-v4.14.x-ti
>
> For 5.0.x/5.1.x: I've picked up RFC 2 directly from your git tree:
>
> https://github.com/rogerq/linux/commits/for-v5.1/pruss-2.0
>
> https://github.com/RobertCNelson/bb-kernel/tree/am33x-v5.0/patches/drivers/ti/rogerq_pruss
>
> https://github.com/RobertCNelson/bb-kernel/blob/am33x-v5.0/patch.sh#L352-L379

Thanks.

>>> So around the time that your first RFC came out, we actually added
>>> that repo by default under /opt/source/ so users could test out your
>>> patchset on the beagle default images:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/RobertCNelson/omap-image-builder/commit/edd84bc5c2d925d67d00d0c2008f48cdd75e3e99
>>>
>>> So any Stretch/Buster/Bionic image after Nov 24 2018, has your repo
>>> installed by default in the root file system. ;)
>>
>> OK. But I haven't fixed all examples as I wasn't sure if the changes that
>> I'm making will be accepted or not.
>
> I assumed that repo would be a work in progress, it was more to make
> it easy for pru users to give it a quick test and give some feedback
>
>> Suman has insisted that he wants to continue using the old resource table
>> format
>> for TI's 2019 release.
>>
>> What do you think is the best approach to take?
>
> I think what TI has been doing with pru-remoteproc just isn't
> working... To give you some perspective on what users of this forum
> have dealt with: TI's "changed" the pru-remoteproc interface/etc for
> end users in every TI kernel: From v3.14.x-ti, v4.1.x-ti, v4.4.x-ti,
> v4.9.x-ti, to v4.14.x-ti..  It's really Painful..>
> Whereas the uio interface is compatible all the way back to our
> ancient 3.8.x based kernel..  and yes the uio driver isn't perfect,
> secure, etc..
>
> So yeah, we will make what every you guys do in v4.19.x-ti as the
> default for our "v4.19.x-ti" kernel, but just note, there is a big
> user base, that won't care and will just use the uio interface in real
> designs and products.  Unless "SOMETHING" goes mainline, then the user
> base doesn't have to worry about it changing on every release.

Yes, having PRUSS support in mainline is very important for us.

>> I would suggest.
>> -Get PRUSS kernel drivers via ti-linux-4.19.y
>
> That's the default plan..
>
>> -Switch pru-software-package to use
>> git://git.ti.com/pru-software-support-package/pru-software-support-package.git
>
> That also the default ;)  It's actually packaged into a deb package..
> using git of: df5794ce7611f8587950f491ef9bf11807e1d0cf
>
> https://github.com/rcn-ee/repos/blob/master/ti-pru-software-support-package/version.sh

cheers,
-roger

Texas Instruments Finland Oy, Porkkalankatu 22, 00180 Helsinki.
Y-tunnus/Business ID: 0615521-4. Kotipaikka/Domicile: Helsinki

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/2917467a-8e11-25ff-bf51-d12fae9a70af%40ti.com.